NYC collision data delay NYPD and NYC Open Data's collision feed is supposed to update daily, but its last data update was June 15, 2026. The city has not published crash records for dates after June 11, 2026, so recent crash activity may be incomplete until the public feed resumes. NYC Open Data
Fatal crash

Driver Hits and Kills Man on Ocean Parkway in Brooklyn

At 7:21 p.m. on Jan. 4, 2022, a 56-year-old driver in a sedan hit and killed a 45-year-old pedestrian at Ocean Parkway and Neptune Avenue; police told reporters the man had been lying in the northbound roadway.

1fatality
January 4, 2022date
7:21 p.m.time

What We Know

At Ocean Parkway and Neptune Avenue in Brooklyn, a 56-year-old driver in a sedan hit and killed a 45-year-old pedestrian on the evening of Jan. 4, 2022. Police told reporters the man was lying in a northbound lane when the driver in a 2013 Chevrolet Impala mistook him for a bag of trash or a blanket, tried to avoid him, and hit him. Responders took the man to Coney Island Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. Press accounts said the driver stayed at the scene and was not arrested; the Daily News also reported that he was not charged or issued a summons.

What police and city records say happened

The city crash record says the crash happened at 7:21 p.m. on Jan. 4, 2022, at Ocean Parkway and Neptune Avenue in Brooklyn, and that one pedestrian, a 45-year-old man, was killed.

Police told the Daily News and New York Post that the man was lying in a northbound lane when a 56-year-old driver in a 2013 Chevrolet Impala hit him. The driver said he mistook the man for a bag of trash or a blanket and tried to avoid him.

A northbound lane of Ocean Parkway near Neptune Avenue

The official record places the fatal crash at Ocean Parkway and Neptune Avenue in Brooklyn. Press accounts described the pedestrian as lying in a northbound lane of Ocean Parkway near Neptune Avenue; the New York Post specified the right lane.

Loading map...
NYC traffic deaths since 2022

The pedestrian and the driver

The official record identifies the person killed as a 45-year-old male pedestrian at the intersection. The press accounts said responders took him to Coney Island Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

The New York Post reported that the driver stayed at the scene and was not arrested. The Daily News reported that the driver was not charged or issued a summons.

One sedan was listed in the crash record

The official record lists one sedan, a Chevrolet, traveling north and going straight ahead before the crash. Press accounts identified the sedan as a 2013 Chevrolet Impala.

Press Articles

  1. nydailynews.com · January 5, 2022 · primary
  2. nypost.com · January 5, 2022 · primary

Source Data